Student Application Process
How to apply to Volunteer Services
PQCHC invites any and all interested parties to volunteer with us. Following the instructions below will ensure that your application will be processed as quickly and efficiently as possible!
- Application forms can be submitted electronically by linking to the following: https://app.betterimpact.com/PublicOrganization/9a4a39a8-7765-419c-9425-5c40913e8c7c/1
- The link will take you to “myvolunteerpage.com”. Select the icon “Fill in Application”. Create a username and password to complete the application process.
- Applications can also be submitted in person at PQCHC (1365 Richmond Road, 2nd floor). Please print and complete Volunteer Application Form
- Volunteer and Student Services will contact the applicant by email or telephone to set up a 1 hour interview.
- Attend screening and interview process.
- Applicant provides requested documentation including a current Police Record Check, Level 3: Vulnerable Sector Check before starting placement.
- Applicants will be contacted by PQ program staff to confirm acceptance into the placement.
- Volunteer attends orientation and training sessions.
- Volunteer placement begins with access to ongoing training and support.
- Complete exit interview when volunteer placement is completed.
PQCHC does not guarantee a volunteer placement even after participating in an interview.
Volunteer application form
Potential volunteers are required to fill out and return the completed volunteer application electronically or in person. The application gives our organization an opportunity to learn about you, your skills, interests, experience. This valuable information will be used in the matching process between the potential volunteer and the placement.
Screening and Interview
The screening and interview, with a staff person from Volunteer and Student Services, provides the applicant a chance to expand on why they are interested in volunteering. The 1 hour interview will also touch upon the following:
a) Volunteer and Student Services staff provides an overview of Pinecrest-Queensway CHC and the programs and services offered.
b) Volunteer and Student Services staff will ask the applicants predetermined questions to learn why he/she is interested in volunteering.
c) The applicant will have the opportunity to ask questions about programs, services and expectations.
d) The applicant will learn about existing volunteer opportunities.
e) Volunteer and Student Services staff will review policies and procedures, volunteer rights and responsibilities and the Centre’s code of conduct.
f) The applicant will read and sign-off on forms such as confidentiality, emergency contact information and references.
g) Volunteer and Student Services staff will discuss the matching process and next steps.
Police Record Check
It is the policy of Pinecrest-Queensway CHC for applicants to undergo a Police Record Check, Level 3: Vulnerable Sector Check. During the interview volunteers will be provided with a letter stating that they are seeking a police record check for the purpose of volunteering.
With this letter, the Police Record Check is free of charge. It is the applicant’s responsibility to take the letter to police services to be processed. The Police Record Check will be returned to the applicant and it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure this is returned to Volunteer and Student Services.
Orientation and Training
All volunteers are required to attend an orientation session in order to understand their roles and responsibilities, while acquiring an understanding of the vision, mission and organizational values of the Center.
Volunteers receive further orientation and training specific to their position from the program staff they have been matched with. Additional skill development and relevant training opportunities may also be available to volunteers during their placement.
Mandatory training provided during the volunteer placement includes:
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) Training
- Violence Prevention in the Workplace