Canada Ontario Job Grant
The Canada Ontario Job Grant program provides financial support to individual employers who want to purchase training for their employees. Employers select which staff they would like to train and what training best meets their needs.
How is the program funded?
The employer pays at least one-third of direct training costs. Small employers of 50 employees or less have the option to contribute up to 50% of their required contribution in wages paid to training participants.
The government covers two-thirds of direct training costs, up to $10,000 per trainee.
An employer must meet the following criteria to qualify:
- Be able to contribute a minimum of 1/3 of eligible training costs in cash (unless they have 50 or fewer employees)
- Employ the individual selected for training
- Be applying for training that is delivered in Ontario and is related to a job that is also located in Ontario
All individuals must meet the following criteria to qualify:
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- Be one the following:
- Employed individuals must be identified for training by their employer
- Unemployed individuals must also be sponsored by an employer, demonstrated through a permanent or conditional offer of employment
- An individual must not be participating in full-time training or education or any other government training intervention that offers funding support for the same tuition, books or other training related costs.
Training supported through the Canada Ontario Job Grant is driven by employer demand and must be directly related to the skill needs identified by the employer. Therefore, employers identify the types of training required to meet their skill needs and the individual(s) who will be trained.
Training cannot exceed one year in duration and must be provided by one of the following third-party providers:
- Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology
- Publicly-assisted universities
- School boards
- Private trainers operating in compliance with the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005
- Union-based training centres
- Product vendors (e.g. related to software or machinery)
For a direct link to the on-line Canada Ontario Job Grant application or to see the FAQ visit Canada-Ontario Job Grant.
Funding provided by the Government of Canada through the Canada Job Grant Programs delivered by the Government of Ontario.